News - Gulf War is almost here: are you ready? (packing list)
UPD: Lay your hands on our SCA Gulf Wars stock online!
by Mads Colvin
Don’t panic, but it’s probably time to start thinking about what you're bringing to Gulf War! It's the perfect time to look through your wardrobe, pick up any last-minute purchases, and get ready to fight, party and have a great time.
We love going to SCA Wars, but know exactly how stressful it can be to track down all of your belongings - especially given how things tend to go missing between events. So, we thought we would make your life a little bit easier by giving you a cool list of the absolute essentials for you to double-check - after all, there's still time to order anything you're missing. A link to the complete list for easy printing is at the bottom.
Is there anything we’ve missed on this list? There are some sections we’ve left out for now to keep it to vital items, leave a comment below and tell us what you absolutely can’t go to war without!
- Photo identification, such as a driver’s license or passport
- Bank card/ credit card/ other payment methods
- Cash - remember that not all vendors will accept card!
- SCA Membership card
- Printed pre-purchased tickets and if required, minor forms
- Proof of any applicable insurance (travel, vehicle, medical)
- Medication and any relevant medical documentation (including EpiPens, asthma inhalers, tablets, etc)
- Comfortable shoes in case your medieval shoes break or are no longer suitable
- First aid kit
- A comfy, dry change of clothes
- Shower shoes
GARB & MEDIEVAL
Note: keep in mind that War is hot and cold, and temperatures fluctuate greatly! Make sure you adequate clothing so that you remain comfortable and happy for the whole event. When packing, we advise going from top to bottom and listing off what you plan on wearing to make sure you don’t forget an important part of an outfit. An easy safety measure is to bring an extra wool blanket just in case, and keep it in your car so it's dry.
Linen undergarments - you can never have enough of them! We have a variety of different cuts available to suit any time period, crafted from soft fine linen that goes very well in both hot and cold weather.
- Hats or veils especially something for sun protection (straw hat)
- Undertunics/ chemise dresses (we recommend linen for easy hand washing and breathability)
- Underwear (you can never bring enough)
- Socks (see above!)
- Medieval shoes that are already broken in and won’t give you blisters
- Something to sleep in
- Hood, scarf or shoulder covering
- Tunics, kirtles, dresses, cottes, kaftans and other over-clothes
- Vests, corset, or other bodices
- Gloves or mitts
- Pants, hosen or skirts
- Pouches and bags
- Jewelry, chains, headgear and other important accessories
- Rain suitable garb (cloaks or woolen items)
Rain repellant wool - tired of getting caught in the rain? Wool is naturally rain repellant, so a wool outer later is a great way to stay a little bit drier (though we can't guarantee it will hold off the rain forever!). It's also warm, but also breathable, making it a great all-weather fabric.
- Tent pegs, stakes and/or poles
- Extra tent pegs (because someone will always ask)
- Rope (always useful)
- Shovel/ spade
- Mattress + pump if required
- Candles/ fake candles/ light source
- Cooler - don’t forget to pick up ice!
- Tarp or ground cover
- Any other required tools
- Food, drinks, stove and cooking utensils
Blankets - is your camp missing something? Our blanket is made from offcuts around the workshop to create a sustainable, all-natural piece of bedding that also works as a picnic blanket, room divider and more!
- Lip balm
- Bug spray
- Soap, shampoo, etc
- Sanitary products
- Toilet paper
Shoes - if you're looking at getting a new pair of shoes, make sure you order them ASAP so you have time to wear them around the house and break them in before you spend a week wearing them!
- Authorization card
- Head protection
- Hand protection
- Neck protection
- Kidney protection
- Other armor
- Preferred weapons & fighting gear ( eg, arrows, rattan, fencing swords, shield)
Armor - missing out on something or worried your gauntlets are getting old? It sounds like a good time to upgrade. Take a look at the modern changes we've made to our gauntlets for better protection, or swing by our stall at Gulf War to try them on yourself.
- A project you’re working on (eg embroidery)
- Notebook + pen
- Extra phone chargers/ battery packs
- Bowls/ plates
- Mug/ glass/ tankard
- Duct tape
- Pain killers
- Multi-purpose soap for dishes/ hand laundry
- Bag for dirty laundry
- Emergency repair kit (sewing, repairing armor, etc)
Cutlery - looking for some new cutlery? Our brand new camp section includes a few pretty little additions such as a chatelaine with eating utensils and the utensils by themselves.
Good luck with your packing! We hope to see you at Gulf War soon.
Did we miss something? Let us know in comments!